Registration for the 2016/2017 school year opens:
Monday, January 25 – Friday, January 29
beginning at 8 a.m.
There are two ways to register:
- Online at registration.sd62.bc.ca. Please make sure to present proof of child’s age and residence to your neighbourhood school within 14 days of registering.
- At your neighbourhood school. Please present proof of child’s age and residence to the school at the time of registration.
Please contact the office if you have any questions. 250-478-3431
Welcome back everyone! This is an important month of learning. This time of year, students are adjusting to the return from a long break and teachers are enjoying a long stretch of time with very few interruptions to their teaching. Families can help their child’s adjustment with the return to routines including regular times for meals and bedtimes in order to make the return in January more successful.
This month has two significant events. First, Kindergarten registration happens at the end of January from the 25th to the 29th. This is the beginning of the process that helps us determine how many classes of students we will have for next year, so we always look forward to seeing who will be joining us! Please remind any family and friends that you know have a child who turns five years old by the end of this calendar year to plan to do this. The second event is Literacy Week. In keeping with the long stretch of work time, we spend one week doing reflective and focused activities that highlight the learning we do all year in the area of literacy. Stay tuned for more information on that! I will be asking for some special ‘Guest Readers’ to come in and share a favourite story with our classes one day that week!
As always, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at the office!
~Mrs. Stoutley, Principal
This last week of school before the winter break is busy! We have:
- Christmas Re-gift store on Wednesday morning. Students have an opportunity to purchase one small gift for a parent for under $5.00.
- Hamper collection Wednesday afternoon. Last chance to donate an item is Wednesday morning.
- Sing along in the gym Thursday afternoon. Students are welcome to wear Christmas hats or ‘antlers’ and parents are welcome. We will have some guest performers and
- Walk to Devonian Beach Friday morning. Some parent volunteers are making hot dogs for us before we head back to school. A full lunch is still recommended since we use a lot of calories when we do these big walks!
- First day back to school on January 4th, Monday.
On behalf of all the staff at Hans Helgesen, I wish you a wonderful winter break with family and friends. Sincerely, Debra Stoutley
P.S. The local Scout troops are chipping trees after the season this year again. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-589-7715 for more information. Chipping begins on Dec. 27th.
Please read the important message below from Jim Cambridge, Superintendent of Schools,
In late September, the Ministry of Education agreed to provide for two extra non-instructional days to the 2015/2016 school year. The Sooke Teachers’ Association determined that Monday, January 18, 2016 and Monday, April 4, 2016 would be converted from days of instruction to non-instructional days (NIDs). To decrease learning disruption, these days were chosen as they take place in different semesters. Copies of the revised 2015-16 Calendar are attached.
These days will provide critical training to teachers and staff about the province’s curriculum redesign. The new Kindergarten-Grade 9 official curriculum will begin September 2016 and the new Grade 10-12 curriculum is scheduled for the 2017/2018 school year. For more information about BC’s new curriculum, please visit curriculum.gov.bc.ca.
Superintendent of Schools
Hello Hans Helgesen Families,
We are busy finishing learning activities and incorporating seasonal fun as we rapidly approach our winter break. This week we are focused on Friday since it is “hot chocolate” day. We are asking students to bring a mug to school to help us continue to be “litter-less” in our lunch.
Also, our PAC is asking for donations of gently used items for the Christmas Store. This is an opportunity for students to purchase gifts between $1 and $5 that are for parents. Each student will be guaranteed one gift and if we have enough donations they may be able to purchase two or more. If you have items that you could donate to the Christmas Store, please bring them to the office.
In the last week of school, we will be having our caroling sing along in the gym on Thursday afternoon. Parents are always welcome to join us! Also, on Friday the 18th we are planning a walk to Devonian Beach! More news on that to follow!
Dear Hans Helgesen Families ~
Don’t forget this Friday, December 4th is our Pancake Breakfast and Craft Day for the entire school!
There will be no Breakfast Program since we will be eating pancakes as soon as school starts. Students are welcome to wear their pajamas!
Craft afternoon begins at 1:00 pm in our “family groupings”. Parents are welcome to come and help for either event.
November is a busy month at Hans Helgesen! Please check our calendar for important dates.
- Thank you to Ms. Wood and Ms. Satterfield for their work on our student-led Remembrance Day ceremonies. Our students celebrated our country and the brave men and women who have served it with poems, songs, art and family stories. It was a very special tribute.
- Families who ordered the “Veggie Bags” will have them to pick up on Tuesday, November 17th. If you are able to help organize this, please contact Cindy Carroll or your class PAC Rep.
- Poinsettia orders are due! Please get your order in by this Friday, November 13th.
- Groove Classes begin soon! You should have received an email that introduced you to our latest after school activity – Groove Dance Class. This is an excellent opportunity for children to dance and move for enjoyment and exercise!
- We will be having our concert this year “Celebrate the Holidays” on December 8th at 1:00 and 6:30 pm. We are asking for families to bring an item to donate to hampers as an entrance gift this year.
- Watch for upcoming dates for our December Pancake Breakfast, Craft Day and more!